An audit is a useful tool that can be used to assess compliance, work conditions, practices and compliance within the workplace. Through our extensive experience and industrial knowledge, TMC is able to develop customized audit will include the following components:
- Identify laws and regulations that apply to the company or facility.
- Determine whether requirements, corporate policies and procedures regarding environment and/or safety compliance are being implemented and followed.
- A thorough review of documentation and recordkeeping as is required by EPA, OSHA, governing agencies and/or corporate policies to demonstrate compliance.
- A review of all environmental and/or safety training that is provided to employees, supervisors and management team.
- Assess or evaluate environmental, health and safety management systems currently in place to ensure compliance. This evaluation will consider the methods used to achieve compliance.
Companies and organizations recognize that audits are beneficial as an established method to provide comprehensive, consistent and systematic review of their operations and workplace conditions to:
- Promote a comprehensive review of systems
- Facilitate planned improvements to programs, policies, and procedures
- Ensure consistent and comprehensive training
- Identify regulatory compliance deficiencies and potential violations
- Identify reporting and recordkeeping requirements across the organization
- Identify deficiencies within the workplace, operations and/or employee daily practices
- Identify disconnects in written programs and activities that take place in the workplace
When an audit is properly conducted, reviewed and corrective action plan prepared and implemented a company or organization can directly begin to enhance compliance, improve workplace safety, avoid violations, penalties and fines, thus reducing corporate liability. Audits can also serve to increase employees’ awareness and understanding of regulations, duties and obligations. The audit process can also be an opportunity to demonstrate a company's commitment to compliance.
With growth in a corporation stakeholders’ interest in effectively managing and reporting environmental risks and liabilities, increased focus of community members and groups, and first responders needs to respond to potential impact to the environment, there are several reasons to strengthen environmental compliance programs. TMC employs experienced professionals who can conduct a confidential audit for your company or organization or construction site to identify environmental concerns and potential violations. TMC trained and experienced team is able to provide a thorough review of environmental laws and regulations that pertain to a client’s business or manufacturing sector. This environmental audit will include observing working conditions and practices, operational equipment and pollution devices, and housekeeping. TMC will also review all pertinent permits, licenses, and governmental authorizations related to operations, discharges, emission, waste generation, chemical storage, and disposal. Corresponding compliance, training and reporting documentation will also be provided along with access for interviewing manager and supervisors who have related responsibilities. Similar to the safety audit, TMC will conclude the environmental audit with members of the management team to discuss the audit findings.
An environmental audit determines the company’s environmental compliance and the extent of environmental risks and liabilities. This process is a systematic, documented evaluation of a facility, focusing on current operating and administrative procedures and processes. An environmental audit includes an examination of:
- Review of applicable environmental laws, regulations and local requirements
- Facility operations
- Operational units associated operational air emissions, water discharges and waste streams
- Chemical use, production and storage
- Hazardous material transportation activities
- Waste generation storage, handling and disposal
- Byproducts or other wastes streams
- Recycling practices
Additional areas of focus for determining environmental compliance within the scope of the audit is an extensive review of the corresponding written information and documents that includes the following:
- Permit and license terms, conditions, requirements
- Regulatory reporting and recordkeeping
- Training documentation
- Shipment and disposal records
- Routine/ Annual EPA reports/ reporting (Tier II/ TRI)
- Corporate internal policy and procedures
- Related environmental reports
- Analytical results
This environmental audit process begins with an opening meeting with experienced TMC team members and company management team to discuss compliance and business objectives. Members of the audit team conduct a thorough observation of the facility.
TMC is able to provide the client with environmental audit findings that reveals whether or not a company is conforming to their planned health and safety programs as well as government laws and regulations. Such findings will further reveal whether or not there are systems or programs to assure environmental compliance throughout the organization. TMC incorporates elements of the health and safety management system as a way of building in a mechanism to provide the requisite checks and balances. Through these audit findings, TMC will assist the company develop a corrective action plan in response to identified failures within a system, process, program and potential violations in area of permitting compliance, training, reporting and/or documentation.